frustrated chef, food enthusiast

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Soup is good for the soul

When I tell people I love soups they often look at me funny and don't understand why but I think soups are fab and are a great light snack or starter to a meal.

One of my most favourite soups is Red Pumpkin soup and I have been told by many of my friends how tasty it is! As with most of my dishes my mum taught me this one years ago but I make this about once every couple of weeks now. I had this for lunch today so thought I would share the recipe with all of you! Enjoy!

You will need the following ingredients;
2 Onions
600 grams of Red Pumpkin
2 tablespoons of butter
2 Bay Leaves
10 Peppercorns
Salt
½ tablespoon of white pepper powder
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
¼ cup of fresh cream

First you will need to peel and slice the onions and the red pumpkin. Then heat the butter in a pan and add the bay leaves, peppercorns and the onions and sauté for a while.

Next add the diced pumpkin and cook for about half a minute, add water and cook until it is soft and fully done. Then strain the excess water, reserve the stock and then puree the vegetables. You will then need to add the stock to the vegetable puree to get the right consistency, and then add the salt and pepper to taste and bring it to a boil. I always then add some lemon juice and garnish it with fresh cream.

This is a great easy to prepare dish but is so tasty! I recommend anyone having a go at this one even novices!

No comments:

Post a Comment